Hello beautiful people! I have been having some pretty anxious days this week for the first time in a little while and instead of keeping it to myself and keeping up appearances that everything is sunshine and rainbows I decided that I’m just going to write a blog post about it. Having times when you don’t feel 100% all of the time is normal, but with the mask of social media it can sometimes feel very isolating if you’re not on top form always. I’ve made a little list of the things I do to try and get myself back into the swing of things when I start to feel low or anxious, like I did this week.
I am not a doctor or a mental health professional, I am just sharing my own experiences and what genuinely helps me in these situations. These are little things that help me, but might not help you and that’s okay because we are all different and deal with things differently. Try to find what works for you and seek professional help if needed.
- Text, call, face-time or meet-up with a friend or a family member. Don’t try to deal with a problem that you are having on your own. Talk to the people around you who you trust and tell them that you’re not feeling great, you will feel better for it.
- Get out of the house and do something if you can. From my own experience whenever I feel down all I want to do is nothing, but when I actually go out for lunch or get out of the house for a bit I feel better. Meet up with a friend and go for a walk, this way you are getting fresh air, light exercise and you can talk about how you’re doing at the same time.
- Realize that taking care of yourself is not selfish. Realize that you are not a burden on those around you and that asking for a chat or some help is not asking for too much. Those who love you will be genuinely happy to help if you give them the chance.
- Take a break from what is causing you stress. Even if it’s for a little while try to separate yourself from a situation that’s making you unhappy. Sit down, have some water or decaffeinated tea and try to focus only on sitting down and drinking the water/tea and not on whatever the situation may be. (I know that this is easy just to say and very different to actually do it from experience, but even though it can be difficult I know that for myself it can calm me even a little).
- Take a break from social media for a small bit. When I get anxious social media makes it worse and I know this, so, a small detox for me is what I know is necessary. Maybe try this one yourself and see if it helps too.
- Listen to your favourite music or watch your favourite light hearted movie. Try to do some of the things that you love to make yourself feel better.
That’s pretty much what I have for now. I thought of doing a beauty related post this week, but when I felt this way mid-week I thought of how important it is to be real with all of you. A picture on Instagram is literally 1 second out of a 24 hour day and no one looks and feels that happy all of the time.
I hope that this helps anyone who might be feeling a similar way at the moment. If you feel like you would like to talk to someone, but you don’t want to talk to someone that you know Pieta House offer a 24hr Freephone helpline that could be of use to you – Pieta House FAQ Page.
Have a great week and I will chat to you all next Monday.